Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Evan Jolly - Genius Composer

Let me introduce you to Evan Jolly. He studied film composing at the National Film & Television School in the same year as myself back in 2002-03. We only officially worked together once in that time, on a short film called No Fixed Abode. Unfortunately part of the exercise was for the composers to be the sound designers so I never really got to experience Evan's true talents. 

However I was always was aware he had a lot of talent. He played the trumpet and the piano (among other things), his compositions on other films at the NFTS were diverse and of a high quality and above all he was a jolly nice chap! 

In the final year I asked him to write a musical song for my graduation short The Happiness Thief, which I loved, but then regrettably had to drop, as I was told that we didn't have the time or budget to include a full on musical dance number in the middle of the film - which would have been the icing on the cake!




So ten whole years later, I'm without a composer and I suddenly think, what on earth ever happened to Evan? I looked up my old contact details for him, but they were well out of date, I then Googled him, but he had no website, no Linked-In page - nothing! Eventually I checked Facebook and thankfully he was there, alive and well living in Brighton.

Less than three weeks later he has just delivered me the most amazing score for Henry Bramble. I was welling up with joy listening to it. For all the troubles we've had on this short, this was the first time anyone had blown away my expectations. He truly is a master at his craft and I am forever grateful to him for lifting our beautiful little film into a whole new dimension.

Evan Jolly, you are a God-damn genius my friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment